Ethics and integrity of the procurement process and people
Sappi Procurement team members:
- Strive to work closely with internal stakeholders to define the specifications of what is to be purchased and to establish all the ways that the purchased goods and services in question bring value to Sappi
- Work to develop supply alternatives and to create a fair, competitive environment in which qualified suppliers can compete
- Work to conduct fair competitive bid processes, managing all commercial interactions with potential suppliers and when appropriate, acting as the key facilitator for questions/issues between potential suppliers and key internal technical and operating members
- Facilitate the bid receipt and evaluation processes. They work closely with internal stakeholders to evaluate each of the established value parameters and to assess the overall ‘value proposition’ offered by each supplier
- Work closely with colleagues on the Sappi legal team to negotiate and develop contracts and agreements that clearly establish commercial terms and provisions; generally, we complete this process with a small number of competing suppliers prior to making a supplier selection, and
- While Sappi Procurement members may provide feedback to bidders, we do not and will not share the specific information contained in another bidders’ proposal.
Our objective is to conduct a fair, competitive process whereby qualified suppliers can compete on a level playing field for Sappi’s business, to make supply decisions based on optimising the overall value realised through the purchase to Sappi, to document the commercial terms of the purchase in an appropriate form and to create win-win situations between ourselves and our key suppliers leading to mutually beneficial long-term relationships.
Suppliers are expected to earn their business with Sappi every day. Suppliers are encouraged and expected to engage in continuous improvement activities leading to improved value both to Sappi and for themselves.
Ultimately, through the application of the Seven Step Sourcing Process, commodity management, market analysis and other sound procurement practices, our objective is to provide a competitive advantage for Sappi in its very competitive business environment.
Sappi Procurement team members are expected to operate at the highest ethical standards. No factors, other than those established by the internal team as bringing value to Sappi, should be or will be considered in the supplier selection process. For that reason, Sappi Procurement team members do not accept any kind of gifts from suppliers or potential suppliers.
Our Sappi Group Whistle-blowing Policy provides protection to whistle-blowers.
Access the KPMG web portal.