Our market-leading range of products includes:
- Dissolving pulp (DP) – Sappi is the world’s leading producer of dissolving pulp—a highly purified form of cellulose extracted from sustainably-grown and responsibly-managed trees using unique cellulose chemistry technology. The majority of DP is consumed to make textiles, such as viscose and lyocell, where DP is converted to viscose and lyocell staple fibres. From there, the fibre is spun into yarns and ultimately textiles, providing naturally soft and breathable fabrics which are smooth to the touch, hold colour and drape well. The fibres produced from DP also act as good blend partners in fabric with cotton and polyester. Cellulosic fibre, however, far exceeds cotton and polyester when it comes to sustainability. What consumers want are goods that are renewable, biodegradable and have superior resource efficiency. DP can also be processed into products that are used in food and beverages, health and hygiene, wrapping and packaging, pharmaceuticals and many more applications that touch our daily lives
- Packaging and speciality papers – We offer a broad range of paper-based sustainable solutions as an alternative to fossil fuel-based, non-renewable packaging in many of our product segments. Both legislative changes and consumer pressure are forcing companies to rethink their packaging choices. Governments, retailers and brand owners all over the world are demanding paper-based packaging solutions for their products and eco-conscious consumers and shoppers are pressuring brand owners for more biodegradable, recyclable and compostable packaging, all reflective of a more circular economy. Sappi offers products and solutions in many different segments including casting and release papers (used by suppliers to the fashion, textiles, automobile and household industries), containerboard, digital imaging papers, dye sublimation papers, flexible packaging, functional papers, label papers, paperboard, release liner, technical papers and tissue paper
- Graphic papers – Our range of coated and uncoated graphic papers cover varying visual and tactile qualities designed to meet specific needs, whether a high-end product with the extra wow factor, a comprehensive solution that caters to numerous requirements or a paper that is more budget-friendly, and
Sappi is also investing in various biochemical technologies:
- Biomaterials and bio-energy – we’re further diversifying our business to derive additional value from wood, by extracting biorefinery products and producing energy from renewable resources, and
- Nanocellulose – using wood pulp, we are pioneering low-cost cellulose nanofibrils (CNF) production with a unique patented process in line with our intention of seeking new growth opportunities in adjacent and new markets.