At Sappi, we seek out only the most credible third-party certification standards and affiliations.
Sappi Sustainable Forestry Certifications
Since Sappi does not own any forests in North America, we are fully dependent on outside suppliers for wood. Using third party programs helps to assure Sappi and our customers that our wood suppliers are adhering to responsible forestry practices. All of Sappi North America's coated fine paper mills are triple certified in accordance with the leading sustainable forestry chain of custody certification systems (FSC®, SFI®, PEFC™). We are proud to be associated with these organizations and their efforts to drive sustainable business practices. In addition, all products manufactured and distributed (or sold) by Sappi North America are compliant with the Lacey Act.
The Forest Stewardship Council® is a non-profit entity that supports environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial and economically viable management of the world’s forests. FSC® independently tracks, traces and identifies wood fibers from the forest through every step of the procurement, manufacturing and printing process, confirming that each supplier in the chain follows rigorous controls, management and reporting practices.
The Sustainable Forestry Initiative® program is based on the premise that responsible environmental behavior and sound business decisions can co-exist. SFI® program participants practice sustainable forestry on all lands they manage, and influence millions of additional acres through the training of loggers and foresters in best management practices and landowner outreach programs.
The Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification™ is an independent, non-profit, non-governmental organization that, with forest managers, paper and timber companies and their external certifiers to assure that the world's forests are managed sustainably for the benefit of future generations.
The American Tree Farm System (ATFS) is an internationally-recognized certification program, run by the American Forest Foundation that provides family and private forest owners with guidelines on forest sustainability and third-party certification. Currently, the program is offered in 44 states, with more than 73,000 Tree Farmers nationwide, managing more than 20.5 million acres.
- Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) - limits on lead and phthalates.
- Coalition of Northeast Governors (CONEG) - Heavy metals in packaging components.
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- Ozone Depleting Substances.
- Proposition 65 (Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986).
- Registration, Evaluation and Authorisation of Chemicals (REACH European Commission regulation).
- Lacey Act Amendment - bans commerce in illegally sourced plants and their products.
- FDA Compliance – Lusterprint is compliant for use in contact with aqueous and fatty foods as well as dry foods.