Our research and development (R&D) initiatives focus on:
- Consolidating and growing our position in our targeted markets segments by developing and commercialising packaging and speciality paper products as well as enhancing our dissolving pulp (DP) business
- Energy opportunities from sustainable renewable resources
- Developing new products and markets from wood chemistry by exploring the micro- and nanoscale potential of woodfibre and biorefining – extracting biochemicals locked up in wood
- Driving cost competitiveness and cost reduction, and
- Optimising our equipment and forestry assets.
Our technology centres across the world cover a diverse spread of research and development:
- Sappi Southern Africa Technology Centre, Pretoria: • Fibre processing • Paper science • Chemical sciences • Environmental sciences
- Sappi North America Technology Center, Westbrook: Coated fine paper and speciality release paper development
- Sappi Europe Technology Centre, Maastricht and Gratkorn: New Technology Development Centre • Nanocellulose Competence Center • Papermaking processes
- Sappi Dissolving Pulp Centre of Excellence, Umkomaas: • Applications testing • Fundamental cellulose properties, and
- Sappi Research, Planning and Nurseries: • Tree breeding • Tree biotechnology • Seed technology • Propagation techniques • Silviculture.