Our market-leading range of products includes:
- Pulp - Our pulp segment predominantly comprises two product categories, namely, dissolving pulp and high-yield pulp (HYP). Occasionally, excess kraft pulp produced at Cloquet Mill, Somerset Mill and Ngodwana Mill is sold externally and included in the pulp segment
- Dissolving pulp (DP) – Our Verve brand is a significant player in the DP market – a highly purified form of cellulose extracted from sustainably-grown and responsibly-managed trees using unique cellulose chemistry technology. The majority of DP is consumed to make apparel, home textiles and non-woven products. DP is converted to viscose and lyocell staple fibres. From there, the fibre is spun into yarns and ultimately woven into textiles, providing naturally soft and breathable fabrics which are smooth to the touch, hold colour and drape well. The fibres produced from DP also act as good blend partners in fabric with cotton and polyester. DP, however, far exceeds cotton and polyester when it comes to sustainability. What consumers want are goods that are renewable, biodegradable and have superior resource efficiency. This is where DP fibres differentiate themselves versus the alternatives. DP can also be processed into products that are used in food and beverages, health and hygiene, wrapping and packaging, pharmaceuticals and many more applications that touch our daily lives
- Packaging and speciality papers – We offer a broad range of paper-based sustainable solutions as an alternative to non-renewable, fossil fuel-based packaging in many of our product segments. Legislative changes and growing consumer pressure are forcing brands to re-think their packaging choices. Governments, retailers, brand owners and their consumers are demanding paper-based packaging solutions that are biodegradable, recyclable, compostable and provide the necessary functionality for their applications. We manufacture innovative packaging and speciality paper products and services with a commitment to sustainability and a circular economy, including casting and release papers (used by suppliers to the fashion, textiles, automobile and household industries), containerboard, digital imaging papers, dye sublimation papers, flexible packaging, functional papers, label papers, paperboard, release liner, technical papers and tissue paper
- Graphic papers – Our coated and uncoated graphic printing papers meet a demanding range of visual and tactile standards – delivering uncompromising ROI through reliability, stand-out quality and strong brand differentiation, and
Sappi is also investing in various biochemical technologies:
- Biomaterials and bio-energy – we’re further diversifying our business to derive additional value from wood, by extracting biorefinery products and producing energy from renewable resources, and
- Nanocellulose – using wood pulp, we are pioneering low-cost cellulose nanofibrils (CNF) production with a unique patented process in line with our intention of seeking new growth opportunities in adjacent and new markets.
We have manufacturing operations on three continents and sell our products in more than 150 countries. This geographic spread of our operations allows us to optimise global knowledge of market developments, operational best practices and technological advancements.